The much-anticipated Playground mode has finally arrived in Fortnite this morning – and now is gone again. The launch has been a little shaky with some bumps and challenges but it’s still an exciting update for players. There is currently no estimated time for Playground LTM to return but according to Epic Game’s Twitter, they are spending the night working on a fix. As with anything related to Fortnite, the pressure is on for the dev teams to get the mode up and running again.
So what is Playground?
Playground is a new creative mode that lets players explore the island, build and even scrimmage with their friends without the pressure of opponents in a battle royale. It’s basically a private island practice ground for you and your friends. Work on your building skills and practice with different weapons, then hop back into battle royale to show up your opponents.
More details on the new mode:
- You’ll have one hour to create, play and train as you wish.
- Drop into the Battle Royale map with a squad of friends for an hour
- Friendly Fire is on
- Players respawn on elimination unless downed by the storm
- The storm doesn’t start closing in for 55m, and takes 5 minutes to close in
- Resources gathered grant 10x the normal rate.
- 100 Llamas will be spawned on the map
- Chests & Ammo Boxes spawn 100% of the time
The new mode was up for a few hours Tuesday morning but was quickly taken down again after matchmaking problems and long queues caused issues with the server. Some players were able to login and go wild with the building mode and exploration but after the shutdown players were not happy with Epic. Initially, the fix was thought to be a couple hours, but now there is no set time for the mode to return. Our fingers are crossed that it will be running smoothly by the morning.